Sunday, April 1, 2012

Minneapolis Photographer: Cancer, Beauty, Friendship & Joy

Suffering has a way of either making or breaking you. Within 30 seconds of meeting Kenzie, I knew which one she was choosing. After battling cancer once and receiving a clean bill of health just months ago, Kenzie found herself once again facing this ugly monster head-on. But she isn't alone- far from it. Kenzie has a team supporting, loving and encouraging her and it is beautiful.




I didn't really know what to expect as I drove to Mill City in Minneapolis. I felt both excited and unsure as to how this would unfold as we all met. But the latter quickly vanished as I encountered only joy- pure, beautiful joy. Kenzie and her friends radiate this. It is contagious and inspiring; it is amazing. Beauty. Friendship. Joy.

To add to what is already an amazing story, Kenzie's friends decided to shave their heads as she lost her hair from Chemo. Most of them are just weeks away from Prom, some are graduating, like Kenzie, in just a couple months, all are teenagers. And yet, their maturity is so far beyond most adults. What's more, they are gorgeous- each one of them- both inside and out, hair or no hair. Beauty. Friendship. Joy.

I am not sure if Kenzie realizes the impact she is making. Her attitude in the face of cancer, her strength, her smile- all I can do is grin as the tears flow and I thank God for allowing me to cross paths with this beautiful girl and her wonderful friends. All I can do is pray for her healing and recovery and know that this girl is loved- and loves back deeply. All I know is that she makes each person she encounters better for knowing her. How many people can truly say that? Beauty. Friendship. Joy.

Here are a few of the images from their session- perhaps the most memorable session I have ever and will ever have the honor of photographing!
















Kenzie and her mom- such sweet love between them.


And I have to end with this... because it so perfectly portrays these girls!

26 comments:

  1. I can't find the words of thanksgiving in my heart for the wonderful and loving thing you did, by taking all these pics of Kenzie and her friends, telling her story, in pictures. God bless you. Two of her Grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous Amazing how paths cross. These are beautiful pictures fo a great girl and her friends who alway are at her side. Thankyou so much for the beautiful work you have done for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful group. Very proud of Kenzie and her friends, family. Glad to be a member of Team Kenzie.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your kind words! It was an honor to do this... truly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohmyheart, this is so very heart warming. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It stops the heart for a moment to see these. God bless them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful story. Hugs and happy thoughts to this amazing group of friends, and especially Kenzie herself. May she know what an inspiration she is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing!! This is so wonderful. What an awesome story of love and friendship. And you did a spectacular job capturing it all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just brought tears to my eyes! What a beautiful story and beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The MOST amazing thing I've seen... probably ever! Those beautiful girls really know the true meaning of friendship and love. Kudos to them. Most grown women, including myself, have never known friendship this true...Kenzie is in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely beautiful! Beautiful, young women! Beautiful, amazing friendships! A Beautiful Life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Having lost so many (brother, sister, niece, mother, mother-in-law...) to this evil disease I sit and weep but also CELEBRATE The BOND OF FRIENDSHIP and LOVE.... which cancer cannot diminish. BLESSINGS to you and all who are touched by this journey of HOPE. <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Breathtaking. <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is absolutely beautiful! I was on the Stone Arch Bridge and saw you guys doing this! A friend of mine on Facebook posted the link to your blog and I couldn't figure out why the photos looked kind of familiar! It was sooo cold that day too! She is such a beautiful person, and so are her friends!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. This is so moving and beautiful! Would love to share her story and your photos on our Wonderfully Made blog! (wonderfullymadeblog.org). Email us at info@wonderfullymade.org. Absolutely incredible and beautiful in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so heartwarming. You did such an amazing job with this pictures. These young girls seem to have amazing, loving hearts. Best wishes to them all, especially to Kenzie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. so beyond touching.. god bless every single one of these girls

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sitting here with tears in my eyes. What an amazing group of women and the best display of true friendship I have ever seen! Best wishes to Kenzie & her friends & family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a beautiful group of girls - inside and out. You did a fabulous job capturing their friendship. My prayers to Kenzie and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  20. this is just the most amazing thing. kenzie is one of the most amazing young women i know and i am proud to be part of her family. these pictures are amazing and nothing can describe how special these girls are. love you kenz.

    -lauren <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing...........from beginning to end..........simply amazing! The images, the friendship and the love that is pouring out of these images...........you are all A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!

    Kenzie, I send you special good wishes and prayers in your journey. And to all your friends and loved ones...GOD BLESS YOU!

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am speechless. I am choked up. I am honored I crossed this online and had the pleasure to read this story and view these amazing photographs. THIS, is photography and friendship in its purest form. <3

    ReplyDelete
  23. The profound statement of love in these photos moves me deeply. Thank you, Kenzie and friends for sharing your inspiration and hope. Thank you, Kate, for beautifully capturing so much love and joy.

    ReplyDelete